If you had been out on the web with a website or blog for quite some time you would have either asked someone else to link to you, or someone would have asked you to link to them. In my earlier days I have asked many to link to me hoping to see the peaks in traffic or a Google Pagerank.
Asking someone is not a bad idea, only a crying baby gets milk. Even God, who knows all our needs doesn’t deliver any of them until we ask. “Ask and thou shall receive”. But the bitter side is that a link in the form of a link exchange won’t bring you any traffic. Oh, if you can call the one click you get in a month as traffic, well then I am wrong 😛
On the flip side, a link from a top performing blog could bring you traffic, but they wouldn’t give you links if you ask them. Bloggers usually monetize such links as sponsored links and earn money by sharing a bit of their traffic. But if you can’t afford to buy a link there, don’t waste your time nagging for a backlink. I will tell you why…
This is why I hate Link Exchanges a LOT…
- Google hates link exchanges meant for improving Page Rank. It’s clearly explained here.
- Usually sites that agree to give you a backlink are those sites with zero or close to zero traffic and similar page ranks. A link from them will not bring you any traffic and Google might consider it as a link from a bad neighborhood which could end up in a zero Page Rank for your blog.
- Your link will be added to a list of many other links. People don’t usually follow such lists which could be 20 or 30 links or even more. So the chance of getting traffic from them is further reduced.
- Even normal web surfers these days know about SEO and SERP. They can immediately say the quality of the links on a link farm. You don’t want to show yourself in a nasty place, do you? Who knows you might be the next A-list topper, you will regret for the backlinks then.
- A quality backlink is much better than a useless backlink.
That doesn’t mean I hate linking out, instead, I love linking out and spreading the word. There is even a category and tag entitled Link Love. Here are some ways to get a quality backlink from me and other bloggers.
Getting that Quality Backlink
Write a Guest post
This is the best way to get a high quality Dofollow backlink. Most blogs entertain guest posts which are relevant to their niche. They would even allow you to link to specific posts too. If you like to write one here, you are most welcome. Read the Guest Blogging guidelines before you send me one. The biggest advantage of a guest post is that the backlink stays for ever.
Be a Top Commentator
Many blogs have the top commentator list which honors the top commentators with Dofollow links. I have one too. Get active on those sites and take away the backlink. Some blogs even have Dofollow comments links too; leaving a comment there can get you a backlink.
Bloggers are constantly in search of new and latest information. If you have some information that he can use, send it right away. If the information makes into an article, you will get a Thank you link. Again the link is a lifetime backlink!
Write awesome articles
If you have unique, mind-blowing content, others will definitely link to you. Many bloggers including A-list toppers often link to articles even from newbie bloggers, that too via dedicated posts. A link to a specific post is gonna get more traffic that a link to your homepage.
Show Link Love
You love it when someone links to you. Right? Everyone loves that. Link to fellow bloggers when you stumble over cool articles and you might end up in a link to one of your best posts too. No guarantees though.
A backlink is not a big thing, if you have good content, people will definitely link to your posts. Once again, the Golden rule “Content is the King” holds well. Go ahead and start writing awesome content, the rest will follow!
And oh, don’t be a miser, link out to relevant articles and show community love 🙂