Guest Post by Anand Subramanian
Best Blogging Practices might sound like an oxymoron when blogging itself is loosely defined. Blogging itself is defined in many ways by many people and I am going to try to give away some of the tips which I find will help corporate blogs reach out to their audience better.
- Personalize your communication – Blogs are commonly referred to as an informally written journal and taking that definition into your company blog is very important to your readers. They need to know who they are reading about and the posts need to connect to the user on an informal level. Personalize and humanize your blog instead of making it a press room.
- Join Conversations – Listening is perhaps one of the most important activities in Social Media if you ask me. There are discussions on your service, your product somewhere out there in the wild web. Find them, join in the conversation on your blog linking to the sources and when you start a new conversation, people will listen to you.
- Be Consistent – One of the major reasons we advocate a firm to think twice before starting their own company blog is updating it! Most companies starting their own blog lose steam in a few weeks and they end up becoming an eerie dead pool. Underestimating the energy, time and commitment to maintain a blog is a major mistake by most companies.
- Provide Value – Are you a gardening supplies company? Tell your readers about the best ways to grow a garden. Are you a web designing firm? Tell your readers about the latest trends in web designing.
- Comments – Treat comments as posts. The comments in any blog are an important part where you get feedback, bricks and roses and be ready to acknowledge the good the bad and the ugly. Give your readers the feeling that they are being listened to and their suggestions appreciated. This will increase your blogs credibility and authority.
If you have a corporate blog, I would be really interested in hearing from your experiences of maintaining one. Do share your views on the comments!